Friday, February 21, 2014

An editorial about Beth Moore's teaching, and her followers

This is an opinion editorial.



Pam Terrell runs the blog "The Secret Life of a Pastor's Wife ". Mrs Terrell recently published a critique of Beth Moore, here . The same thing happened to her as happens with anyone who says anything negative about Mrs Moore. Her next post was titled "The Day My Blog Blew Up ."












Wikipedia CC

Mrs Terrell explained what happened, and how many comments she had received. Some were positive, along the lines of 'thank you for posting this discerning information about a false teacher.' Others were rabidly angry that their idol had been poked.



I sympathized with her. I had previously quoted Mrs Terrell in one of my many, many, MANY essays about Beth Moore but I had not seen the follow up. Every other blogger that I've read who posted something negative about Beth Moore (and they were few & far between for a long while, whistling in the wind) ALL got the same reactions, the same content in the comments, even. One thing I read recently that hit me is "to see if something is an idol, poke it and see how the followers react."



One comment that people who try to defend Moore's teaching say a lot is that "you're jealous." The 'you're jealous' comment perplexes me the most. Commenters reacting to my pieces on Moore also say that I'm inhibiting people from delving into the word, it's just my opinion, and I need to stop being critical. Not one ever comes up with a biblical reason to rebut my biblical reason for taking issue with Moore's teachings. That's because there aren't any.



Saying ANYTHING negative about Beth Moore provokes a rabid-push back. Lately though, and thankfully too, some men have been speaking out against her methods and her false theology. Todd Friel, Mike Abendroth, Justin Peters, Jim Murphy, Tim Challies and Matt Slick at Christian Research and Apologetics Ministry (all pastors) have all recently said negative things about Moore in one aspect or another, based on her handling of the bible and what/how she teaches. I wonder if these female commenters would say that the men are "jealous" too!



Moore makes weak disciples because her teachings promote straying from from sola scriptura, providing a poor model for the new Christians coming up. She makes doubters, offers legalism, and puts in lots of conditions to faith. As a result, people wander from Jesus-the-rock and becoming scared of their doubts (i.e 'am I doing faith right?') they go back to Moore. It's why she has so many groupies.



It's hard, as a discernment person, to see so vividly how the false ones are damaging the faith and striking the sheep. I worry deeply and almost every day for women in my own congregation. So my fears are not just for the women 'out there' but also 'in here'.






Moore, Rick Warren and formerly Billy Graham have been the 20th century's worst wolves, and I am sad to say I have to put Osteen in that category too now. I say 'sad' because it's so OBVIOUS Osteen is false, but increasingly, people don't see it. At least Moore, Graham and Warren hid their apostasy for so long that it took a keen eye and a God-delivered wisdom to detect it. In other words, props for subtle cunning. Osteen is just blatantly blasphemous. However the bible does say that apostasy will increase, and Osteen certainly is evidence of that.



“For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears; and they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables”

(2 Timothy 4:3-4).
My sadness with Moore is now she is passing into the grandma stage, an elder woman of the faith, meaning she has been around so long she has birthed spiritual daughters...just like Revelation 2:20-23 says of the false prophetess-type Jezebel.



This is a subject near to my heart. I just want to run around to every woman and put my arms around them to protect them. But my arms are too short. The way to do that is prayer. Jesus's arms are long enough.


No comments:

Post a Comment